The Gold Interface
Annual global production of sulphur is about 70 million metric tons. Sulfur is a by-product of oil and gas production and refining, with this involuntary production accounting for up to 95% of traded volume. 1WEC has been a significant market participant in global Sulphur markets. We sell sulphur on an indexed or fixed price basis. Deals can be structured with terms varying from long-term annual commitments to short-term quarterly and month-to-month spot-based deals
- Most of the sulfur produced by our partner refineries is sold by us into the petrochemicals market where it is used to make sulfuric acid.
- Processing of high-sulfur natural gas is also a large source of sulfur supply.
- Sulphur Specs
Carbon 0.025% max. Ash 0.05% max. Arsenic (as As) 1 ppm* max. Selenium (as Se) 1 ppm max. Tellurium (as Te) 1 ppm max. Mercury (as Hg) 100 ppb* max. *Parts per million (ppm); parts per billion (ppb)
- Globally, sulfur is typically marketed in solid form and transported in bulk around the world on board ocean going vessels.
- Truck transportation.
- Rail transportation.
- Marine terminalling.
- Sulfur is used in a wide variety of industries, most of it after conversion into sulfuric acid,
- As an input for fertilizer production (70%).
- In metal leaching (20%).
- In various chemical industries (10%).